Powered by Blogger.

DIY - an Erdem Inspired Jacket in 20 Minutes

Friday, June 17, 2011

Photo: Dave Dunan- Image credit Vogue.co.uk

When I spotted this beautiful printed blazer in the Erdem pre fall 2011 collection, I really wanted it. Of course my budget won't stretch to Erdem no matter how much I want.

But it suddenly occurred to me that I could create my own version of this jacket using this Reiss blazer that I picked up from a charity shop a while back. I love the fit of the blazer but the plain brown colour just bores me so much I have only managed to wear it once.


So I gave it a try and to my delight it worked out even better than expected. Mr Style Eyes gave me the usual bonkers look when he saw me attacking a perfectly good jacket with a bottle of bleach but even he had to admit it looked pretty good in the end.

It took me only 20 minutes using a bottle of bleach, a washing up bowl and a pair of rubber gloves. I put some bleach into the bottom of the bowl and diluted it a  little. I loosely scrunched up the jacket and rubbed into the diluted bleach then I cut off the string and squirted neat bleach randomly on the jacket and rubbed with my hands (in the rubber gloves), then waited until the fabric started to change colour. Once I could see enough change I rinsed several times and then rinsed and spun in the washing machine. I then hung to dry and pressed.
DIY Erdem inspired jacket


I really loved the effect which worked particularly well as the fabric has a sheen to it. I could have made a smaller scale and more intricate pattern using smaller amounts of neat bleach. Other interesting effects could have been achieved by dabbing the bleach on with a plastic bag or sponge or even using a brush. The effect will differ depending on the type and colour of fabric that you are using. This is a really quick and easy project for upcycling an old suit jacket or blazer which has become a bit tired or got a mark on it. If you haven't got one and want to give it a try, there are loads of tailored jackets in charity shops.

So here are a few outfits that I put together with my new Erdem inspired blazer, I am sure that there are plenty more to come.

Top - Charity shop then upcycled with bleach
Skirt - Swapped on Posh Swaps
Shoes - Dkode
Necklace - Urban Outfitters


Jacket and shoes - as above
Dress - ASOS

Jacket and shoes - as above
Dress - Missguided

So what do you think?

Have a great weekend

With warmest wishes

Ceri X

No comments:

Post a Comment