Powered by Blogger.

A Seventies Birthday Party

Thursday, July 21, 2011

I can't believe that it is a week since I last posted. I don't know where the time has gone, perhaps some of it taken up making my latest creation (below).

For Mr Style Eyes 40th birthday, we held a seventies themed party. As our campervan, Roberta was 'born' in the seventies like Mr Style Eyes (actually only one year between them), I decided to construct a cake that was an almost exact replica. It thought it turned out pretty good. I did cheat a bit though, I used 6 ready made madeira cakes stuck together with butter icing and bought the coloured icing ready made too, so I just had to roll it out. In these situations I always think it is best to take as many short cuts as possible especially as I also had a boeuf bourgigone and trifle to make for 20+ people.

I put lots of consideration into my seventies themed outfit and planned to wear a printed chiffon maxi dress by Malene Birger and a cream lace waistcoat, with a flower garland (sort of like a hippy). On the day I had to abandon that idea as the bottom of the maxi dress had a big rip in it, I must have stood on it last time I wore it and there was no time for repairs. Instead I opted for a one shoulder maxi dress which I refashioned/ upcycled a while ago by cutting off one strap and adding a scarf. I think the look ended up a bit more Grecian than seventies disco diva but I guess I whilst I was born in the seventies, I was old enough to remember much of it, so I have an excuse. I had to wear the flower garland even though it didn't go as I love it so much.


Here I am borrowing a lighter from Big Bird to light the birthday cake candles. I know, I was a bit shocked to find out that Big Bird smokes and drinks beer too. And that is Andy Pandy in the background, someone I do remember from the seventies, just!

Other stuff that I have been busy with lately is a post on the French Connection Autumn Winter Lookbook for The Fashion Buzz, an article on how to market your fashion company online for The Source (the online publication of the Ethical Fashion Forum), you have to be a member to read it but I have published a pdf on my business blog and I have also updated another of my websites with the latest shift dresses, please check it out if you are looking for a shift dress for work parties or anything else.

Hope you are having a good week!

With warmest wishes

Ceri X

No comments:

Post a Comment