Powered by Blogger.

Friend Friday - Feminism and Fashion Blogging

Friday, March 25, 2011




This weeks Friend Friend Friday topic is Feminism. Quite a difficult one for me to tackle as I am not entirely sure what feminism means especially in the context of fashion and clothing. But in the interest of pushing myself out of my comfort zone and perhaps even learning something new I have decided to give it a go any how.

So here goes:
1. Do you think there is an incompatibility between feminism and a love for fashion? to me feminism suggest some sort of freedom to be who you want to be regardless of your sex, fashion is also a way of expressing who you are so no not really, unless perhaps you work somewhere where the dress code does not allow this expression (luckily this is not the case for me as I work for myself).

2. There is more to each of us than a love for fashion, how do you incorporate every aspect of yourself into your blog? I do write about my work quite a bit on my blog and some other other aspects of my life although I am really quite obsessed with fashion and my blog is an outlet for this. The one thing (and very important part of my life) that I do not feel happy sharing much about on my blog is my children.

3. With the fashion industry still being a male-dominated profession, how do you think it would differ if women played a larger role? I am really not sure. Perhaps there would be less experimental designs and more comfortable clothes. I recently read some where that Christian Louboutin disliked 'comfort' shoes which made me laugh as it is easy to say something like that when it is not you that has to wear them. I don't think style and comfort have are mutually exclusive and perhaps women might design more with this in mind.

4. How is your self-image and the way you carry yourself informed by your beliefs?
I think I have a good self image and I hope that I carry myself well and I guess that is backed up by a strong belief that everyone should be valued for what they are. I think individuality should be celebrated and it is peoples quirks and differences that make the world such an interesting place. I was brought up with a strong sense of worth and that no one was better than me but also to treat others as I would expect to be treated myself. I guess this must form part of my self image.  I am quite shy verbally but prefer to express myself through my clothes.

5. Do you think clothing/makeup/hair helps communicate the truth about yourself or are those things superfluous add-ons? a difficult one. I guess we all communicate in different ways but visual information is probably one of the first things that people notice about you so telling people about yourself in this way makes it quicker and easier for people to get to know you. I also think that if you dress in a way that you feel comfortable you will feel more confident and therefore able more able to express the real you.

I think clothes and makeup can be used as a mask to hide the real you but this would come across as incongruent in a similar way to if you try and behave in a way that is unatural to you or not fitting with your identity, people will intuitively pick up on it. However it is also completely possible to express the real you without clothes and make up if you don't have the option for example if you wear a uniform, for some people like me this would take more effort though.
If you are interested in reading more about this topic there are many more interesting and informed posts to read on Modly Chic.

If you're interested in FBFF, go to Modly Chic for more information then e-mail Katy if you want to join the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment